REFERENCE GUIDE FOR PREVENTION AND INTERVENTION OF DOG FIGHTS
Thanks to for compiling this list from suggestions posted on the list.
Any additions or corrections are more than welcome.
- Be the absolute ALPHA.
- Obedience training...This will give dog sense of purpose...something to think about etc.
- Avoid cluster of dogs at gates, doorways etc. Fights may start accidently in this frenzie of excitement.
- Be especially aware when bitches are coming into heat or whelp.
- Intact males should be kept separated when around bitches in heat.
- Watch for the LOOK...an unmistakable stare of animosity which will ultimately lead to a fight.
- Choosing the pups with the best temperament...not necessarily the obnoxious show pup.
- Read CULTURE CLASH to better understand your dog.
- Unexplained aggressiveness should possibly be checked by vet in case a medical condtion might be the cause.
- When a dog has been away from the household for a while...such as a show circuit, reintroduce slowly and in your presence.
- Separate bitches when away from the house as most fights seem to start when Alpha is not present.
- Insert finger into rectum of fighter with death grip on opponent. This is said to guarantee immediate release.
- Try to grab rear leg or legs of opponent...if dog can't gain purchase it will have to release grip on opponent at least hopefully long enough to get it to a gate or crate.
- Have 4 gallon BUCKET handy to try to maneuver over the head of one.
- Drop clothes, such as HEAVY BLANKET or bedspread to use on one dog in same manner as bucket..to create confusion and a barrier hopefully allowing one of the fighters to be removed.
- Have NAIL POLISH REMOVER on hand. If a fight erupts, rub it on hands and this will cause fighters to back off when approached to try to separate them. One of the dog repellants may work also.
- Cover eyes and pinch nose of the fighter with grip on opponent. This will cause release.
- Twist COLLAR closing off airway. This has worked well for some but others warned that you could choke dog to death in process.
- Black pepper scattered into faces of fighters causes them to have sneezing fits and back off.
©Copyright Mary L. Curl & Martha Bowman. All rights reserved